Reports to: Director of Manufacturing and Supply Chain
Position Location: Company HQ in Suburban Philadelphia
The Production Engineer will be responsible for the Installation, Testing, Analysis, and Reporting of SLIM (Structures for Lossless Ion Manipulation) based Commercial High Resolution Ion Mobility units prior to delivery to customers. Additional responsibilities include the troubleshooting and repair of units under test and test apparatus. The Production Engineer will work closely with the Manufacturing, Engineering and Field Service teams to continuously improve the testing process. In this role, the Production Engineer will assist as needed with the creation of presentations, use cases, technical documentation, internal and external training documentation, procedures, and customer facing manuals, quick start guides, troubleshooting, etc.
From time to time, the Production Engineer may be asked to act as a backup for the Field Service Engineering team who function as a liaison between our Customers, Product Development, and Applications. In this backup role, He/She will be responsible for the installation, customer familiarization and support for our SLIM units at customer sites.
Areas of Responsibility will be divided as:
Instrument – Installation, Sample Prep, Testing, Analyze Data, Report Data, Troubleshoot, Repair (Company HQ) 60%; Technical support and process improvement (Company HQ) 30% and Backup to Field Service Engineering team (Field) 10%.
- Production Engineer Role
- Installation and testing of SLIM based Commercial units prior to delivery to customers.
- Troubleshooting and repair of instruments under test.
- Troubleshooting, repair, and improvement of test apparatus.
- Preparation of testing standards.
- Analysis of test results.
- Record keeping and reporting of test results.
- Operation and daily maintenance of LC/Q-TOF MS.
- Maintenance of system logs and service records.
- Working with outside vendors to maintain functional testing environment.
- Identifying process risks and limitations.
- Scheduling testing to meet commercial needs.
- Backup Field Service Engineering (FSE) Role
- Installation and testing of SLIM units at customer sites.
- Provide extensive technical support and system level troubleshooting.
- Manage and drive resolution for all customer situations.
- Manage customer expectations, by communicating work performed and providing follow up plan if needed.
- Deliver system level training at customer sites.
- Issue field service reports.
- Maintain sound knowledge of SLIM technology and customers’ application demands.
- Work with Applications and Product Development teams to resolve customer issues as expeditiously as possible.
- Train users to use LC/MS instruments.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical chemistry, chemistry, physics, engineering, or related fields. An advanced degree in these or related disciplines is a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years industrial experience testing, maintaining, or servicing analytical instrumentation. Field service experience is a plus.
- Must be able to use logical thought processes to analyze and resolve technical challenges.
- Hands-on with high mechanical aptitude and ability to use hand tools.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the technical team.
- Exceptional time management skills with the ability to work in a changing environment.
- Strong customer centric focused.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate to internal teams.
- Ability to work within the United States.
- Willing to relocate to the Chadds Ford, PA region.
- Willingness to travel. (up to 20%)
- Willingness to travel overnight.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous experience in LC or LC/MS. Experience in Ion Mobility a plus.
- Process oriented.
- A willingness to accept responsibility, own a project, deliver on timelines.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills, ability to decompose complex problems, prioritize issues, and implement sensible solutions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak, present and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts.
- Ability to work independently in the laboratory, including, experiment design, sample preparation, operation of scientific equipment, and data interpretation.
- Supply Chain Partners
- SLIM/MS End Users
- Scientific Community, Academic Researchers
Cultural, Behavioral and General Characteristics
- Work standards/high work ethic – initiative and drive
- Innovativeness & creativity
- Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated (work with minimal supervision)
- Ability to quickly learn SLIM technology and apply it.
- Ability to think through complex issues and solve problems.
- Desire to share information and support a transparent culture.
If interested, please send a cover letter and current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.