Position: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Reports to: Mechanical Engineering Manager
Position Location: Company HQ in Suburban Philadelphia, PA
Mechanical Engineers work in multidisciplinary project teams and are responsible for designing, building, and testing the mechanical components that make up the design of MOBILion’s instrumentation products. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work closely with the product development team to design components and systems that meet engineering requirements. They will see the design of a part or system from conception all the way through to commercial release.
- Work with the internal and external engineering teams to design, build, and test the mechanical components of SLIM instrumentation to meet DFMA guidelines.
- Design machined, sheet metal, and injection molded parts and work with suppliers to manufacture them.
- Assist the Instrument Systems Engineer in the development and execution of system test plans.
- Perform initial and ongoing design reviews.
- Perform engineering calculations to support design work
- Learn mass spectrometry technology and how to operate the SLIM instrument.
- Work within an interdisciplinary team of engineering, applications development, and operational employees to achieve strategic, operational, and technical objectives in a manner that ensures the product performance meets customer needs.
- Deliver documentation offering a critical analysis and suggestions for correcting errors.
- Create complete and accurate documentation including engineering drawings with GD&T, Bill of Materials and Build instructions for all design using SolidWorks. Generate manufacturing documentation.
- Support in-house build and assembly of the product from proof-of-concept (POC) phase through production.
- Design components of functional systems and modify existing design to develop or improve products and manufacturability
- Proficiency in SolidWorks CAD and working knowledge of SolidWorks PDM administration experience.
- Provide CAD support for engineers and scientists throughout the organization.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum BSME discipline with 5+ years design experience. Medical device design experience a plus.
- Knowledgeable of Design for Manufacturability encompassing sheet metal, injection molding and machining operations through coordination with supplier and internal team members.
- Experience with FEA, DFMA and flow simulation software (I.e., COMSOL, SolidWorks).
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal supervision. Provide clear and concise updates.
- Liaising with interdepartmental team members and outside suppliers. Experience working in cross-functional team.
- Self-starter, with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves mentality, and the ability to define and execute project objectives and priorities on time and on budget.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Experience designing and building electromechanical devices.
- Contribute to the development of project budgets and timelines
- Report progress and status of assigned projects on a timely basis with emphasis on reporting results to the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
- Ability to work within the United States
- Willing to relocate to the Chadds Ford, PA region
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience with metrology techniques.
- Knowledge of product certification processes (e.g., UL, CE, FCC).
- Someone who considers themselves a “Maker”, hobbyist, or tinkerer.
- He/she must have an intellectual curiosity and be active in the company by observing and asking questions to learn.
- Occasional travel as needed.
- Interested in Electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry.
- Project Manager
- Product Development Engineers
- Product Manager
- Product Development Management
- Outside design contractors
- Scientific Community, Academic Researchers
Cultural, Behavioral and General Characteristics
- High Work standards/work ethic
- Innovative & creative
- Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated (work with minimal supervision):
- Ability to think through complex issues and solve problems
- Desire to share information and support a transparent culture
If interested, please send a cover letter and current CV to email@example.com.